Did you know that your car’s engine circulates over 11 gallons of coolant? It’s one of the most important fluids in your car and, as such, it’s important to keep it topped off and in good condition. One way to do that is by using a coolant additive. But what is a coolant additive? How do you choose the right one? And how do you use it? Keep reading for answers to all those questions and more!
Best Coolant Additive 2023 Comparison Table
|Royal Purple 01600 Purple Ice Super-Coolant Radiator Additive||Check Price||Royal purple||• Prevents erosion and electrolysis
• Compatible with all coolants types
• Contains lubricants to protect the water pump
• Vehicle Specific
|Motorcraft VC8 Diesel engine coolant additive||Check Price||Motorcraft||• Heavy duty diesel
• Designed for replacement
• Dye yellow elimination
• Radiator flush
|Motorcraft Ford Diesel Coolant Additive VC8 - 3 Bottles||Check Price||Ford||• Cooling system
• Conventional green coolant
• Used diesel track
|Design Engineering 040200 Radiator Relief Coolant Additive||Check Price||Designed engineering||• Used in all water coolant
• Formula corrosion
• No mix required
• Fit vehicle specific
|Mishimoto - MMRALC Liquid Chill Radiator Coolant Additive||Check Price||Mishimoto||• Non corrosion
• Decrease high coolant
• Prevent future corrosion
• Net weight
|Cummins Filtration Fleetguard DCA60L Coolant||Check Price||Cummins filtration||• Electric plug
• Bottle leaked
• Ready to start using
• Manufactured in USA
• Automotive chemicals
• Commercial Brand
• Powerstroke diesel
|Baldwin Coolant Additive||Check Price||Baldwin||• Coolant addictive
• Lower coolant temp
• Concentrate on cooling
|Motul MoCool (Radiator Additive)||Check Price||Motul||• Auto and track maintenance
• Compatibility to use
• Manufactured in USA
• Ready to use
|Baldwin Filters Coolant Additive||Check Price||Baldwin||• Non corrosion
• Decrease high coolant
• Prevent future corrosion
• Net weight
|40 BELOW COOLANT||Check Price||South West||• Reduces coolant temperatures up to 40 degrees
• Drag racing
1) Royal Purple 01600
This product is designed to protect your radiator and keep it working properly for as long as possible. It contains lubricants that will help prevent erosion and electrolysis, and it also helps to optimize protection against these two problems. This product is specifically designed for use in vehicles, so be sure to check compatibility before using it.
2) Motorcraft VC8 – 1 Pint(473 ml)
For diesel engines, Motorcraft VC8 provides the necessary additives to help protect against wear, corrosion, and deposits. It is recommended to replace these additives with every oil change. The new yellow color of the product helps eliminate color changes in your oil that can indicate a degradation of the additives.
3) Motorcraft VC8 – 3 Bottles
The Motorcraft VC8 coolant additive is a great way to keep your Ford car or truck running smoothly. This powerful coolant additive meets Ford specifications and will replace any additives that have been depleted. Use the Motorcraft VC8 where specified for best results.
4) Design Engineering 040200 – 16 oz.
This additive is designed to protect water-cooled engines from corrosion and scale build-up. The inhibitor in this product prevents rust and extends the life of your engine. This 100% biodegradable, non-corrosive, and non-toxic additive is also compatible with water and anti-freeze mixtures.
This product is easy to use, simply add it to your coolant reservoir. For best results, replace your coolant every 2 years or 24,000 miles.
5) Mishimoto – MMRALC Coolant Additive
The Mishimoto MMRALC Coolant Additive is designed to prevent future corrosion and reduce existing build-up in your cooling system. This additive will also help reduce coolant temperatures, and no mixing is required. The MMRALC is non-corrosive and 100% recyclable. It comes with the Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty
6) Cummins Filtration Fleetguard – DCA60L
Cummins Filtration has long been a leader in providing quality coolant treatments to the heavy-duty trucking industry. The DCA60L is their latest product designed to prevent corrosion and extend the life of your cooling system. This non-toxic additive is compatible with all Cummins engines and can be used in both new and older trucks. The 16 oz. bottle contains enough concentrate to treat 12 gallons of coolant, making it a great value for fleets. This product is made in the USA and has a 16.2lb weight.
What is Coolant Additive?
A coolant additive is a chemical agent added to automotive antifreeze/coolant in order to increase its performance. The most common additive is ethylene glycol, which acts as an antifreeze and helps protect against corrosion. Other additives include propylene glycol (which also prevents freezing and boiling), sodium chloride (which inhibits corrosion), and phosphate (which prevents scale build-up).
Photo Source: amazon.com
Who Needs Coolant Additive?
You may need a coolant additive if your car is leaking antifreeze, if your car is overheating, or if your check engine light is on. A coolant additive can also help prevent corrosion and build-up in your cooling system.
How Does Coolant Additive Work?
Coolant additive is designed to protect your engine from corrosion and overheating. It does this by creating a barrier between the metal surfaces of your engine and the coolant, which prevents the coolant from coming into direct contact with the metal. This barrier also helps to prevent rust and other forms of corrosion from forming on the metal surfaces.
Photo Source: carcareportal.com
Why You Should Buy Coolant Additive
There are a number of compelling reasons to buy coolant additive for your engine. Coolant additive can improve the efficiency of your engine by up to 10 percent, and it can also help protect your engine from corrosion and wear. In addition, coolant additive can extend the life of your engine by up to 50 percent. Here are some other benefits of using coolant additive:
- Coolant additive can help improve the performance of your engine by up to 10 percent.
- Coolant additive can help protect your engine from corrosion and wear.
- Coolant additive can extend the life of your engine by up to 50 percent.
- Coolant additive can help improve the efficiency of your engine.
- Coolant additive can help reduce the emissions from your engine.
- Coolant additive can help reduce the fuel consumption of your engine.
How to Use an Additive
If your car is low on coolant, you can add an additive to the radiator. This will help to restore the level of protection against overheating. The best time to do this is when the engine is cold, so you don’t risk getting burned.
To use an additive:
- Park the car in a safe place and let the engine cool completely.
- Locate the radiator cap and unscrew it.
- Pour the additive into the radiator.
- Put back the radiator cap.
- Check the level of coolant and add more if necessary.
- Start the engine and allow it to run for a few minutes to allow the additive to circulate.
- Check the temperature gauge to make sure the engine is not overheating.
- If everything looks good, you can continue driving.
Additives can help to extend the life of your coolant and protect your engine from overheating. Be sure to follow the instructions on the package to get the best
Types of Coolant Additive
There are many types of coolant additives, each with its own purpose. Some common additives include:
- Antifreeze: This is the most common type of coolant additive. It helps to prevent your engine from freezing in cold weather.
- Anticorrosion: This additive helps to prevent corrosion in your engine.
- Antifoam: This additive helps to prevent foam from forming in your coolant system.
- Dispersants: This additive helps to keep dirt and other particles suspended in the coolant, so they don’t settle on surfaces and cause corrosion.
- Rust inhibitors: This additive helps to prevent rust from forming in your engine.
- PH adjusters: This additive helps to keep the pH level of your coolant at the correct level.
Adding the correct type of coolant additive to your engine can help to extend its life and keep it running smoothly. Be sure to check your owner’s manual or colsult a qualified mechanic to find out which additives are right for your vehicle.
Considerations Before Buying Coolant Additive
When choosing a coolant additive, it is important to consider the following:
- Depending on the severity of the problem, some coolant additives may be able to provide only temporary relief while others may provide a more permanent solution.
- It is important to consult your vehicle’s owner manual or a professional mechanic to determine which product is right for your car.
- Some coolants may require special care when handling and adding to your car’s radiator.
- Be sure to read the product label and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- Also, be sure to check for any potential compatibility issues with other products in your car’s cooling system.
- Some coolants may contain ingredients that can be harmful to your health if inhaled or ingested, so it is important to use them in a well-ventilated area.
- If you have any questions about coolant additives, be sure to ask a professional before using them.
Advantages of Coolant Additive
When it comes to engine coolant additive, there are many different products available on the market. However, not all of them are created equal and some may actually do more harm than good. It is important to choose an additive that will offer the maximum protection for your engine while also providing other benefits.
- One of the main advantages of using a coolant additive is that it can help to prolong the life of your engine. Over time, engines can build up deposits of rust and scale, which can lead to corrosion and eventually engine failure. An additive can help to prevent this by keeping the engine clean and free of these deposits.
- In addition to preventing engine damage, a coolant additive can also help to improve fuel economy. By keeping the engine clean and running efficiently, you can use less fuel and save money on gas.
- Finally, a coolant additive can also help to protect your engine from freezing in cold weather. This is especially important if you live in an area where the temperature gets below freezing during the winter months.
While there are many different types of coolant additives available, it is important to choose one that is right for your engine. Make sure to read the label carefully and follow the instructions to ensure that you are using the product correctly.
Additional Tips When Using Coolant Additive
Here are additional tips to consider:
- Check your coolant level regularly and top it up when necessary. Always use the correct type of coolant for your vehicle. If you’re unsure, check your owner’s manual or ask a qualified mechanic.
- If you notice any leaks, have them repaired as soon as possible. Coolant can be poisonous to animals and children, so don’t let them come into contact with it.
- Keep your radiator and cooling system clean. A buildup of dirt and debris can cause problems. If you’re not sure how to do this, consult a qualified mechanic.
Coolant additive is an important part of keeping your vehicle’s cooling system functioning properly. By following the tips above, you can help ensure that your vehicle runs smoothly and efficiently.
Mistakes to Avoid
When it comes to your car, there are a lot of things you need to do to keep it running properly. One of those things is making sure you have the right coolant additive in your radiator. If you don’t, it could lead to some serious problems down the road.
Here are some mistakes to avoid when adding coolant additives to your radiator:
- Not using the right type of additive. There are many different types of coolant additives on the market, so be sure to use the one that’s specifically designed for your car.
- Not following the directions. Be sure to read and follow the directions on the coolant additive package before adding it to your radiator.
- Adding too much or too little additive. Be sure to add the recommended amount of additive to your radiator.Adding too much or too little can cause problems.
- Not flushing the radiator before adding the additive. If your radiator is full of built-up gunk, the additive may not work as well. Be sure to flush the radiator before adding the additive.
- Not replacing the radiator cap after adding the additive. The radiator cap helps keep the coolant in the radiator, so be sure to put it back on after adding the additive.
By avoiding these mistakes, you can be sure that you’re using coolant additives properly and keeping your car running smoothly.
Frequently Asked Questions##
What is coolant?
Coolant is a term used to describe a substance that helps to lower the temperature of another substance. Coolants are commonly used in vehicles, refrigerators, air conditioners, and other devices that require consistent cooling.
What are the benefits of using a coolant additive?
There are several benefits associated with using a coolant additive. Additives can help to improve the performance of your cooling system, extend the life of your coolant, and protect your engine from corrosion and wear.
How often should I use an additive?
The frequency with which you should use an additive depends on the type of additive you are using and the manufacturer’s recommendations. In general, it is a good idea to use an additive every time you change your coolant.
What are the risks of using a coolant additive?
As with any substance, there are always some risks associated with using a coolant additive. It is important to carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings before using any additive. Additionally, it is always a good idea to speak with a qualified mechanic if you have any questions or concerns about using an additive in your vehicle.
Coolant additives are an important part of keeping your vehicle’s cooling system in good working order. By preventing corrosion and scale build-up, they help to keep your engine running at its best. There are many different types of coolant additives on the market, so be sure to choose one that is compatible with your vehicle’s cooling system.
My name is Sean Hoyt and I am the founder of mycarcoolant.com. Here, I write about all aspects of the automotive industry with a focus on antifreeze and coolant maintenance. Through my blog, I strive to provide reliable information for vehicle owners to help keep their cars running smoothly. As an experienced mechanic and avid car enthusiast, I believe in delivering quality content that can be beneficial for everyone. Thanks for visiting!